Thursday, March 8, 2012

Personal Statement: Leadership Quality Personal Essay - For Kellog's


Describe your key leadership experiences and evaluate what leadership areas you hope to develop through your MBA experience. (600 word limit)

I look at leadership as a potential and ability to contribute significantly to an organization, a team or a cause. At various stages of life I have experienced my significant contributions, sometimes in a formal set up and sometimes in absolutely informal manner.
One of my most significant leadership experiences was to become a Project Leader with XYZ (London) and successfully managed a team of five Investment Banking professionals – each one having far more experience in their domain than what I had. Although I was the youngest member of the team and less experienced too, I had something which none of these highly knowledgeable and experience professional had; a fearless mind and willingness to ask stupid questions. This attribute led me to a greater understanding of the entire business model and process. As a result, I could connect these processes and understand the trade flow cycle. Having seen my initiatives, command over the process and potential to deliver, the Senior Management chose me to lead the project. This indeed was a proud moment for me but intimidating too.
As owner of the project, the challenges were numerous. The first and the most primary issue I had to address was the coordination among team members. First of all I clearly defined their individual roles within the team and facilitated them to bond with one another during drinks, team lunches, weekend soccer games, etc. Liaison with various global teams was the second big challenge. It was here where I realized the importance of developing personal relationships, escalations, incentivizing and prioritizing. The most difficult part however was the fact that the product was at a very nascent stage and the process was new for everyone. That’s where I really learnt the art to draw a road map in an unstructured and ambiguous atmosphere, quick decision making and taking complete ownership of your decisions taken. Most importantly, I learned leadership is not about solo performance but it’s about coming out winner as a team.
I have always liked assuming more responsibility as it allows me to learn and contribute more. I often find myself questioning the status-quo and feel it does wonders to an organization. One such experience I had while I was working with XYZ Capital where I pointed out the inefficiency of team structure in deal execution and suggested an alternate model for operating teams. On its merit, the same was implemented which indeed turned out to be more efficient.
One of the dimensions of my professional life which I enjoy the most is “Empowering others” especially when I help develop opportunities for my collogues around to enhance skills with a view to develop the overall preparedness to move onto higher roles. A recent such opportunity I had in my current team at XYZ Bank. A colleague, who was inducted in team about three months ago, was not performing up to the expectations. I helped him grasp the processes and worked very closely with him to identify areas where he needs to put in his extra efforts. I coached, conveyed confidence and gave him opportunity and latitude to run independently. The result was evident; his performance improved substantially.
With a rigorous MBA program, I hope to sharpen my financial acumen, analytical abilities and execution capabilities. It would help me develop Seasoned Judgment; ability to apply broad knowledge and experience while addressing complex issues, ability to navigate through ambiguity and ability to take calculated but timely decision. An MBA program would increase my problem-solving abilities.
A well structured MBA program at Kellogg’s would not only challenge me go beyond what has been  experienced and learned but also push me to champion new ideas and initiatives, in turn foster innovation and Entrepreneurial Risk taking ability. Kellogg’s is a campus known for its people’s diversity in cultures and backgrounds where the learning process involves working together and a genuine team work. The MBA program here would help me develop finer skills of forging positive and trustworthy relationships at work. I would learn to establish team oriented work environment factoring the varying needs and style of different people.

24 comments:

  1. These documents must contain an application letter, an MBA statement of purpose, two recommendation letters, your GPA and GMAT score. statement of purpose mba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post. I agree that the statement should be made in one paragraph about business personal statement, Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found many post on business personal statement online but your post contain very useful information, Thanks for providing such a great information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The personal statement for medical school gives the admissions committee the inside scoop of who you are and if you have the heart to be a doctor. sop for mba

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'limit' is what which used to make you remained to your points, facts and ideas this will also lead you towards the best experience that you actually wants from your career. personal statement diversity

    ReplyDelete
  7. In recent years with the introduction of tuition fees university positions are becoming increasingly hard to secure. With more A Level students than ever before applying for university the personal statement for mba india is now more important than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In recent years with the introduction of tuition fees university positions are becoming increasingly hard to secure. With more A Level students than ever before applying for university the personal statement for mba india is now more important than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The need and demand to write effective letters has existed for long as a means of communication between two individuals. It holds a key importance in all aspects of life including social, personal, and professional. mba letter of intent

    ReplyDelete
  10. In writing personal statement, you should have you clear ideas and creative thoughts. Sometimes best personal statement of interest writing service can give proper ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. business school personal statement is important for students.Student don't how to make a statement.So, writng a statement is very important things.See more business school personal statement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my significant post. Well I have the site of mba statement of purpose. In this site make you feel better overall same can be seen here that if you able to learn those ideas and the principles then might be possible for you to have a good writing platform.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your valuable information. It really gives me an insight on this topic. I'll visit here again for more information.
    statement of purpose

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your statement has all stories and solving ideas helpful thanks for share it personal statement example .

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is designed to fulfill the needs of Ph.D.
    students who want to finalize their dissertation. A professional dissertation editing service can fix all errors in the student's dissertation. This collage is good for higher education. business management personal statement examples

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Le_Meridian Funding Service went above and beyond their requirements to assist me with my loan which i used expand my pharmacy business,They were friendly, professional, and absolute gems to work with.I will recommend  anyone looking for loan to contact. Email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com  Or lfdsloans@outlook.com.WhatsApp ... + 19893943740.

    ReplyDelete
  17. value your opinion so much This article is business. Have you faced any challenges during its implementation? Let's discuss." "It's impressive to see how SOP FOR MBA can enhance employee training. Do you have any tips for creating effective training modules?

    ReplyDelete